- (I work the floor at an independently-owned menswear store. The owner, my boss, spends a lot of time at the shop, and tries to keep prices as low as possible to help our city’s large homeless population get good job interview clothes. A clearly homeless man is wandering around the store. The other patrons are giving him looks.)
- Customer: “Excuse me, sir?”
- Me: “Yes, ma’am?”
- Customer: “I think you may want to call security. That… bum over there, he keeps feeling the suits and muttering to himself. I’m just sure he’s planning to steal one.”
- Me: “Well, ma’am, I think that’s quite unlikely.”
- Customer: “Oh, come on, you know how they are! I mean, I’d keep an eye on him even if he wasn’t homeless!”
- (The homeless man in question happens to be Hispanic.)
- Me: “We don’t discriminate here, ma’am.”
- Customer: “Well, I’m sure the owner would want to hear about this!”
- (I give in and call him over. The customer explains her concerns. As a black man, my boss isn’t happy with her racism, but agrees to talk to the homeless man.)
- Owner: “Excuse me, sir, are you finding what you need?”
- Homeless Man: “Well, not really. I’m hoping for something versatile in a dark or navy wool, but most of the options in my size are cut American style instead of European, which fits me a little better. Not to mention they’re all pinstriped, which I really don’t have the build for, you know?”
- Owner: “I… yes, I understand. I think we may have some options over here, if you’ll follow me. How did you know all that?”
- Homeless Man: “Back before I lost my job, I used to be really into this stuff. I’m not looking for anything fancy, just something I can use to look good for a job interview later today.”
- (My boss helps him find something he likes, and comes to the counter with him. The suit is priced at $87.)
- Homeless Man: *digging in his pockets* “Hang on, I think I’ve got enough.”
- Owner: *to me* “Take my card. I’m buying it for him.” *to the homeless man* “Here. The suit’s yours, on one condition. After your interview today, you come back and apply for a job here too. Got it?”
- Homeless Man: “I… oh my God, thank you. Thank you so much.”
- (Two years later, that formerly-homeless man is my manager, and has a little girl with his new wife—the owner’s sister.)
Anonymous asked: What's so bad about Tony Abbott?
oh, child. you’ve come to the right blogger.
this, is our current prime minister, tony abbott.
he’s been in office for almost a year, now. in that time, he’s managed to piss a lot of people off. myself included. so what exactly makes him so bad?
1) he’s sexist
in regards to abortion, he’s asked “why isn’t it regarded as a national tragedy” rather than the declining life expectancy of aboriginals [x] and that it’s all about women taking “the easy way out”[x]. he’s even gone so far to say that women will never succeed more than men because “their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons” [x]. let’s not forget that he thinks it’s not a woman’s right to refuse sex and that he believes it should be moderated [x]. did i mention he’s the women’s minister? [x] it’s not a joke. i wish.
2) he doesn’t like immigrants
he’s not a fan of immigrants and has been quoted saying such things as “jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to australia.” [x] let’s not forget, “i don’t think it’s a very christian thing to come in by the back door rather than the front door” [x]. you know, because there’s a queue for when you run for your life.
3) he think’s climate change is made up
he’s said (and god i wish i could make this up) “climate change is absolute crap” [x]. oh and he’s also made a comment on bushfire tragedies in australia saying “fire is a part of the australian experience” [x]. losing your home and family is definitely part of the australian experience, right tony?
4) he’s homophobic
when an 11 year old boy wrote to him about the rights of the gay community in regards to marriage and abbott wrote that he will continue to “support the existing definition of marriage”[x] not only does he refuse to take religious views out of the picture, but he wants to silence the gay community and has said “if you’d asked me for advice i would have said to have, adopt a sort of “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy about all of these things…”[x] he has also said “i probably feel a bit threatened (by homosexuality), as so many people do.”[x] yeah, and we feel threatened by you.
5) he upholds aboriginal stereotypes
about aboriginals, he’s said “there may not be a great job for them but whatever there is, they just have to do it, and if it’s picking up rubbish around the community, it just has to be done.”[x] let’s not forget that if an indigenous person can’t find work, they have no excuse because there are no “cultural excuses”[x]. oh and what does he think about the british invading australia and killing thousands of indigenous people? “western civilisation came to this country in 1788 and i’m proud of that… [x] good job.
6) his view on homelessness
"we just can’t stop people from being homeless if that’s their choice."[x] need i say more?
7) reduction of work rights
"compulsory paid maternity leave? over this government’s dead body, frankly"[x]
8) his way with words
what does he think about the crisis in syria? “it’s not goodies versus baddies, it’s baddies versus baddies”[x] what did he say when he posed closely with a group of teenage girl netballers? “a bit of body contact never hurt anyone”[x] how does he promote his campaign? “if you want to know who to vote for, i’m the guy with the not bad looking daughters”[x] his reaction to a dead australia soldier? “shit happens.”[x] i’ve saved the best/worst until last “no one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom.”[x] ew. let’s hope not.
there are about another thousand pieces of evidence i could use to explain why this man is bad for our country. like how his daughter has received an art scholarship that wasn’t known to other students before she received it [x], while he makes funding cuts to universities[x]. not to mention that when a radio listener called in to comment on how she managed to make ends meet because of his pension cuts by working on as a phone sex operator, he winked[x]. this guy is basically the scum of the earth.
and to close, i’ll leave you with this website. abbotisms is a site that showcases his best worst statements he’s been quoted saying. also, this video from john oliver’s “last week tonight” and it’s brilliant commentary on abbott’s stupidity and overall ignorance.
i hope we’ve all learnt something today.
me n my plant gf
- me: bby ur hand is so thin
- her: that me leaf
I fucking hate admitting to someone that I miss them. It makes me feel so small and pathetic, because while I’m awake at 4am thinking about you, you probably haven’t thought of me in months. It makes me feel so stupid and I honestly wish I could forget you. But I can’t.
fun statistics for adults!
“when I was a kid, I had no help with college tuition, I was hardworking and paid it all myself”
-Annual tuition for Yale, 1970: $2,550
-Annual tuition for Yale, 2014: $45,800
-Minimum Wage, 1970: $1.45
-Minimum Wage, 2014: $7.25
-Daily hours at minimum wage needed to pay for tuition in 1970: 4.8
-Daily hours at minimum wage needed to pay for tuition in 2014: 17.3
GUYS I JUST REALIZED WHY PAPER BEATS ROCK OH MY GOD
PAPER SYMBOLIZES WORDS WHICH SYMBOLIZES BRAINS
AND ROCK SYMBOLIZES BRAWN.
BRAINS OVER BRAWN.
MIND OVER MATTER.
PAPER OVER ROCK.
You clever little shit.
then what the fuck does scissors mean
Anonymous asked: Thoughts on Malala winning?
conclusion: Malala is amazing and Western civilization has yet again proven to be hypercritical ignorant uncompromising and evil. how very fitting for columbus day.